Tech USA is currently seeking a Business Controller for a full time position. We are looking for a seasoned, team oriented, quality minded, and motivated candidate.
SCOPE OF POSITION
- The Business Controller is responsible for all financial aspects of the business, including finance-related functions of the relevant manufacturing sites.
- While functionally reporting to the Director, Business Finance, the Business Controller will work closely with
- the Business Directors, the Operational Directors, the Natural Business Teams, and with other senior staff to gain insight into the key drivers for each Product Business, and help identify the impact of these key drivers on results and outlook.
- Under the guidance of the Director, Business Finance, Business Directors and other senior operating and analytical staff, the position manages the process to generate the annual Product Business Plans and quarterly outlooks.
- This position oversees the detailed analysis of monthly Product Business performance and highlights key areas of potential focus for the Business Directors. Additionally, the position, in conjunction with Corporate Finance, manages the monthly Product Business margin close and ensures business control processes are appropriate.
Business Analysis & Reporting
- Prepares monthly and quarterly reports for Business Directors and the Natural Business Teams which highlight and explain significant variances between actual results and Plan.
- Develop quarterly outlooks for the various products; assessing variances from Plan for the forecast period.
- Develop “special purpose” analysis of actual results and outlook at the direction of the Business Directors and Natural Business Teams in addition to routine analytical variances.
- Work closely with Business Directors to develop metrics and analysis to monitor and improve business performance.
- Assist in explanations of performance for the businesses for Management Discussion & Analysis (MD&A) issued externally and provide explanations to external auditors as needed.
- Ensure proper and timely presentation materials are prepared for the Business Directors, at quarterly Leadership Team meetings and other times as necessary. Be prepared to present and answer questions or highlight issues at these meetings, as required.
- Assist in preparation of business sections of the Annual Information Form (AIF) issued externally.
- Monitor the month end close process to ensure that Product Business results are properly stated based upon approved processes and methodologies.
- In conjunction with Corporate Finance, enhance the month end close process to improve timing, generate efficiencies and to streamline accountabilities for ongoing accounting work to develop financial results.
- Responsible foR profit centre and cost centre structure for the relevant Products. Recommend and organize profit centre and cost centre changes.
- In close cooperation Corporate Finance, take ownership for Sales & Distribution (SD) and Materials Management (MM) module organization and structure for relevant Products. Recommend and organize SD and MM module organization and functionality changes.
- Ensure ongoing and future compliance with GAAP and / or IFRS for the reporting of the Product Businesses noted above.
- Working with Business Directors, and their staff, to ensure costs for third party purchases of finished goods, raw materials, and logistics services businesses are properly accrued.
- Work with Accounts Payable to ensure proper controls are in place so as to identify discrepancies between accrued amounts and amounts invoiced by third party purchases of finished goods, raw material, and logistics services. Ensure non-routine control issues in this regard are identified and resolved in a timely basis.
- Oversee the development and updating of standard costs at manufacturing plants and storage locations and ensure such standard costs conform to approved methodologies.
- Working with the Systems Group, manage business process design for the flow and accounting of product supply and sales.
- Working Corporate Finance, direct the plant controllers to assess accounting practices used to ensure accurate reporting and control. Ensure non-routine accounting matters/issues are identified & resolved in a timely manner.
- Maintain a strong understanding of operational and financial control processes through close communication with the Corporate Finance, plant controllers, operations personnel and knowledge of systems controls.
- Identify control process weaknesses and work with business process owners to recommend process improvements. Implement approved process changes to strengthen controls.
- Work with Corporate Reporting Group to ensure on-going review and testing of key controls.
- Coordinate audits as required by contractual commitments.
Business Planning & Analysis
- Manage and become the champion of the process to generate the annual Plan and quarterly outlooks for the relevant Products. This includes ensuring deadlines set by the Corporate are met, managing the collection of inputs from Marketing, Sales, and Manufacturing, and compiling the Plan under the direction of the Director, Business Finance and Business Directors.
- Work closely with Corporate Finance, Director Business Finance and the other Business Controllers to document and assess the process to generate the annual plan and quarterly outlooks and make improvements to reduce duplication and time, and reduce the risk or errors.
- Draft summaries of the annual plan and quarterly outlooks including Power Point presentations for presentation by the Business Directors, to the Natural Business Teams for discussion and review.
- Assist with the preparation of the annual Plan presentation for the Board of Directors for Group VPs and Business Directors.
Staff Management & Development
- Ensures that the function is properly structured and is staffed appropriately. Responsible for documenting the responsibilities of each position and ensuring the responsibilities are clearly communicated to incumbents.
- Ensures management training and development needs are identified and programs initiated. In-house, on-the-job training is provided to ensure that specific processes are used.
- Mentors and develops employees and prepares an adequate plan for backup & and succession.
- Monitors performance of direct reports, including coaching and conducting annual performance reviews.
- As required, assist Director, Business Finance and Business Directors, to perform scenario analysis including changes to “status quo” supply sourcing options, customer mix changes, supply chain infrastructure changes, and manufacturing plant closures or expansions.
- As required, assist in analyzing financial returns for Economic Capital projects.
- Provide information or complete one-time analysis as periodically required.
- Work with the Director, Business Finance, Corporate Finance & Business Directors, to integrate acquisitions that will become part of the businesses managed by the Business Directors. This includes recommending profit centre and cost centre structures, outlining monthly margin allocation procedures and setting monthly analysis templates.
- Accounting Designation (CA/CMA/CPA) preferred
- University Degree a must, MBA a plus
- 7+ years of experience in managing financial reporting functions
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, initiative and ability to multi-task
- Self-starter, leadership potential
- SAP experience with strong working knowledge of all modules would be a plus
- Exceptional MS Office Suite knowledge
- Ability to travel up to 25%.
About Tech USA:
Tech USA, Engineering & Construction Solutions is a comprehensive provider of workforce and project support solutions throughout the Engineering, Construction, and Environmental Industries, including Construction Management, Environmental Services, Remediation, Geotechnical Services, Safety, MEP Design & Construction and Biofuels. We are actively seeking candidates for contract, contract-to-hire, project support and permanent placement jobs throughout the nation. View our website to see a list of our current open positions; however, not all of our positions are listed so don’t forget to submit your resume and request a consultation with one of our Engineering & Construction recruiting specialists to explore your opportunities further.
At Tech USA we understand that next to your family, your career is one of the most important aspects to a happy and fulfilling life. This is why we take the time to truly understand and get to know our candidates, so we can then pair them with the right job, not just any job. As a result, Tech USA is known throughout the industry for quality, reliability and the highest satisfaction from both our clients as well as the candidates that we represent. Contact a local Tech USA representative today and learn about the many opportunities we may have available for you. Tech USA is an equal opportunity employer.